Penetrometer Electric With Digital Automatic Timer H-1240.4F Humbolt
The Humboldt Electric Automatic Penetrometer is of rugged construction, but requires careful handling to safeguard its accuracy. Keep the instrument clean at all times – especially the drop and indicator plungers, which constitute the spindle assembly. Use denatured alcohol as the cleaner for these surfaces.
For complete test procedure ( s ), refer to the following specifications: ASTM D5, D217, D937, D1168, D1321, D1403, D1831, and AASHTO T49.
- Level the instrument carefully by means of the leveling screws on the base, sighting the spirit level from above, in order to obtain accurate alignment. After the instrument has been leveled, avoid shifting its location.
- Position the height of the supporting casting by turning the knurled travel nut on the main support post and then tighten the black knob.
- If additional weights are used, these should be taken from the side post and set on the end of the plunger ( opposite end of the needle chuck ).
- Insert penetrating needle or cone into chuck and tighten the chuck screw.
As supplied by Humboldt the unit is programmed to provide a solenoid actuation period ( plunger release ) of 5 seconds. The panel-mounted, electronic timer uses 120 VAC, 50/60 Hz. In order to use 240 VAC, a step-down transformer or converter suitable for digital circuits is required. The H-1240.4F is supplied with an H-1042 transformer for this purpose and is plug compatible with the penetrometer cap-plug, but requires the input line cord to the transformer to be wired for local service.
For further timer information refer to the ATC Model 365B Long Range Timer Instructions.
- Holding the plunger with one hand, squeeze the lever on the front of the support casting with the other to allow raising the plunger & needle to clear the sample. Flip the toggle switch on the front panel to the up position and pre-select the specified time of penetration by turning the knobs on the timer bezel.
- To conduct a test set the needle, cone or micro-cone on the sample surface. When ready to begin, press the red pushbutton on the front panel to release the plunger for the pre-selected amount time. The timer- controlled electromagnet will immediately release the plunger and after the preselected time interval will re-grip it to stop the test.
- Measure the travel of the plunger assembly by lowering the dial indicator rod to contact the plunger and observing the dial reading.
- To reset for the next test, the front panel toggle switch must first be flipped to the down position, then the above sequence can be repeated.
CAUTION : Keep hands, clothing and other objects away from moving parts when the machine is in operation.
ASTM D5; AASHTO T49, IP49; ASA Std., A37.1; Fed Spec. SS.R. 406C, Meth.214.01
Waxes with 250 or less penetration
Joint sealant for asphalt & concrete pavements
ASTM D217, D937 ASA Std. Z11.3
For all 90° cones
Food products and paste paints
U.S. Dept. Of Agriculture
( shortenings, margarine, butter, etc.) Measuring firmness of solid and plasticized fats
AOCS Cc 16-60
( i.e., recovery of used grease ) Small obtainable samples
Standard hardened stainless steel needle, 40-45 mm exposed needle length. Wt. 2.5 g.
Same as H-1280. Certified to ASTM accuracy by independent laboratory. Wt. 2.5 g.
Same as H-1290. Certified to ASTM accuracy by independent laboratory. Wt. 2.5 g.
Long hardened stainless steel needle, 50-55 mm exposed needle length. Wt. 2.5 g.
Hardened stainless steel wax blunt tip of truncated cone. Ferrule is approx. 3.2 mm dia. Wt. 2.5 g.
Same as H-1310. Certified to ASTM accuracy by independent laboratory.
Hardened stainless steel tip with special plunger. Total wt. 60 g ± .050 g.
Resilience ball penetration tool. Total wt. 27.5 g.
Hollow 90° brass cone, highly polished stainless steel tip. Removable nut and stem. Wt. 102.5 g.
Same as H-2520, completely made of stainless steel. Wt. 102.5 g.
Stainless steel replacement tip, nut and stem.
Magnesium cone and plunger, same dim. as H-2520. Total wt. cone and plunger 30.0 g.
Aluminum. Same dimension as H-2520. Total wt. 35 g.
10° aluminum cone, 3.2 mm ferrule,0.8 mm stainless steel blunt tip. Overall length 106 mm. Wt. 45 g.
¼ scale. ( Not considered a substitute for full-size cone specified in ASTM D217. ) Wt. 9.38 g